- 8 ounces sea scallops, thawed if frozen
- 2 lemons
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons low sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound asparagus spears, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium red onion, cut into wedges
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 2 to 3 fresh basil sprigs, including stems
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, cut into strips (optional)
- Rinse the scallops and pat dry. Set aside.
- With a sharp knife, score one lemon lengthwise in four sections and remove the peel from each section. Scrape the white portion from the peel; discard. Cut the peel into very thin strips and set aside. Squeeze 2 tablespoons of juice from the lemon; reserve.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the asparagus and onion (only phase 4 can have cooked onions) and cook for 2 to 3 minutes; season to taste with the salt and black pepper. Transfer to a serving platter and keep warm.
- Combine the lemon peel, basil sprigs, and 2 tablespoons of low sodium chicken broth in the skillet. Cook for 1 minute or until heated through. Remove the lemon peel and basil sprigs with a slotted spoon, leaving the oil in the skillet; discard.
- Cook the scallops in the hot oil for 3 to 5 minutes or until opaque, turning once. Stir in the reserved lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Place the scallops over the asparagus mixture. Cut the remaining lemon into wedges. Garnish the scallops with the wedges and, if desired, the fresh basil.