As we age, it is normal for our bodies and brains to change. You may feel like your memory and general cognitive function starts to decline. However, there are some things you can do to help slow that process down. Here are five ways to keep your brain healthy, slow any decline in memory and lower your risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease or other dementias:
5 tips to keep your brain healthy.
1. Exercise regularly. Aim for 30-60 minutes of aerobic exercise every day. We recommend walking.
2. Get plenty of sleep. Shoot for 7-8 hours of sleep every night.
3. Eat healthy. Choose a well rounded diet that includes plant-based foods, whole grains, fish and healthy fats, such as olive oil.
4. Stay mentally active. Find 15-30 min/day to learn something – read, listen, learn.
5. Remain social. Take someone to lunch, join a social group, or call an old friend.
If you feel you need additional help to start your brain health journey, call today and schedule a BRIOfit session with one of our movement specialists. They can help you determine how best to keep your body and brain healthy.