5 Run Tips BEFORE You Start Training for the CCC
The Allstate Sugar Bowl Crescent City Classic 10K is just 4 weeks away. Whether you are just beginning your run training or you are looking to beat your personal record (PR) this year, proper training techniques are essential to your running success. Here are five tips before you start your run training program:
- Footwear: A key ingredient to running success and injury prevention is is the right pair of shoes. I recommend buying your shoes from an establishment that deals with runners specifically. There are several reputable retailers in the Metairie and New Orleans area that can help you find the shoes best designed to accommodate your individual needs.
- Have a plan: Everyone has heard of the “terrible twos”. In the running world it is the terrible “toos”, referring to too much, too soon, and too often. If you have an established plan for your run/ workout you are less likely to fall victim to the “terrible toos”.
- Warm-up: Before beginning any exercise activity proper warm-up is imperative. I recommend a dynamic warm-up when preparing for your run. Here is your dynamic warm-up.
- Cool Down: Cooling down and stretching after your run is as important as your warm-up. So be sure not to skimp on this. It is at this point where you are going to benefit more from the static stretching. Stay tuned for our next post which will include the Cool Down video.
- Listen to your body: It is so exciting when you start to get the hang of the running thing that often you don’t want to stop. Don’t ignore the signs. Pain that you feel during activity and pain that lingers after you have stopped that activity is indications that you may be in the beginning stages of injury. If this happens do the following:
- Give your body a break. Take a couple of days off to rest. Then try to return to running. If the pain is gone, gradually resume your prior running schedule.
- If not, contact us! That is what we are here for. To give you the advice you need to keep you on the road and on your way to race day.
That should be enough to get you started! If you want a little jump start on your training, you might consider BRIOfit, our strategically planned, highly-evolved, full-body training program. Join Team BRIO’s performance specialists for comprehensive workouts aimed to improve how you feel, move and perform. BRIOfit will add vitality and energy (BRIO) to your life. Contact us today to get started!