Workplace Wellness: Knowing “The Why”
There are so many things that go into creating a healthier work environment for your company, from cultivating a healthy culture to living out healthy habits. The one thing we know, is that a healthy work environment MUST start with the employer’s lead.
When considering workplace wellness the first thing to ask yourself is:
Do you and your company know your “WHY”?
- Why are you in the business that you are in?
- What is the purpose for your work?
- What values and desires drive you to make your company a success?
The more clear your “why” is to all of the members of your team, the better the chances for a healthy environment. The “why” should be clearly and simply stated in your mission statement.
Next, use these 6 simple steps to cultivating workplace wellness:
- Educate your team on “the why.” Can your employees readily state your mission statement?
- Make sure all teammates know the company values. Are your values clear to everyone in the organization?
- Ensure employees understand what is expected from them in their job. Are your employees job duties clear and understood by everyone?
- Hold employees accountable for doing their job. Do you hold your employees fully accountable for doing their job as expected?
- Empower employees by giving them autonomy to do their job. Do you allow your employees some freedom to decide how they get their job done?
- Be the example by living healthy habits. As the leader, are you setting a good example. Do you “walk the walk” and “talk the talk”?
Define your values and refine your focus. Once the focus is there, the healthy habits will follow.
Call BTC | BRIO today if we can help you get started on creating a healthier work environment. Stay tuned for the next two parts of Building a Healthier Work Environment series.